Friday, April 23, 2010

Theres more to tea than drinking

"Le Gouter" at the George V hotel Paris

I spent a delightful afternoon yesterday at the home of one of my French friends. Gersende and her family moved to the US from Grenoble, although originally from Paris, just over two years ago. They now live in a beautiful house on the water and the dinning room and living room look out over the back garden and onto the water. Now, being Irish I drink my fair share of tea actually more than my fair share. Although I do brew the occasional pot of tea, I'm more the drop the tea bag in the cup and pour on the boilling water type. Gersende being French and with her innate sense of style has managed to take something I have always taken for granted and elevate it to quite an art form. I will admit that prehaps the setting played a tiny role in the sheer enjoyment but Earl Grey NEVER tasted so good. I usually find this tea bland and boring but I enjoyed it so much I insisted it was not true to the point where I had her retrieve the package to show me.
In the late afternoon the French enjoy le goĆ»ter—a cup of tea and a little something sweet. My friend brewed the tea in a very tall and slender silver topped glass teapot which sat in a silver base with a matching silver creamer and covered sugar bowl. All of which were presented on a beautiful silver tray. I was also served a beautiful dish of buttery Madeleines. .......yes it was silver too. The tea cups and saucers were of dainty china with delicate little demitasse spoons. I have never enjoyed tea so much. It became something I wanted to savour and linger over. I have come to the conclusion that I take my tea for granted. I have two beautiful tea sets: one pre war Noritake set that my grandmother scoured the Irish countryside to find as a wedding gift. The other was given to me by my mother in law.....I really love this one as no two cup and saucers are the same and they are vibrant pinks, blues, and greens. I am sad to say though that due to my lack of appreciation for the ceremony of tea drinking they have never been used. I am going to change that! Today I bought myself a little present on ebay a beautiful 1940's tea and coffee service. What do you think?

From now on I will no longer just drink tea I will serve tea, setting the table with thorough enjoyment and appreciation in mind.





No comments:

Post a Comment